Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Class Demos & Continuing Clay Models

Today we had a demo on both wood-joining and making plaster molds for our models using the aluminum strips. Both were very clear and I feel a lot more knowledgable about each process. The wood-joining may take a few tries in order to get some joints that don't crack or that are misaligned. As far as the plaster molds, the process seems pretty straightforward and I feel confident that my model will provide an easy, two-piece mold.
Since my last post, I have changed my model quite a bit. I realized I can maximize the size of my model with the limited amount of clay I have by covering an object of the same shape. Initially I wanted to use boards but I couldn't find any spare wood that suited my needs and I realized it would be very heavy. So instead I folded up some newspaper and cut them the size to make my MIDI Fighter controller a little larger. This way I can spread the buttons out more and add more detail after.
I have also been using the putty scraper as an effective way to smooth out my model. Since I basically had to start over in order to make my model larger, the clay surfaces were made bumpy again. It takes a long time to smooth everything out by hand, especially to the accuracy I want. The putty scraper helps quite a bit in both smoothing and flattening all of the surfaces to give it a more realistic look. Because my object is semi-simple in form, I want to put an emphasis on the realism of it by making it extremely smooth and uniform.

No comments:

Post a Comment