Thursday, January 10, 2013

More TAF Ideas & Artist Lecture #1

Since my last post I have narrowed down my ideas for the TAF project. I decided that a DJ controller would be a good representation or symbol for what I enjoy as well as an interesting subject to model in clay. Specifically I am interested in modeling my controller after the Midi Fighter. This controller is unique in itself in that it looks like a retro, arcade-style button layout with bright colors and a simple design. Here are some examples that I will use as a template, but will probably modify for my own clay model...


Tonight I also attended the Randy Bolton Lecture about his "Scene Better Daze" collection of prints. It was a pretty interesting talk that he gave about his work which seems to focus on faux-finished works. I noticed in his presentation he mentioned the duality of his works in that they have both distressed, ignored, unfinished qualities as well as traditional, digitally-fine tuned aspects that people can identify with.
Some of his works he called "sculptural prints" which tended to be large prints on canvas that were sewn front to back and suspended with a frame. This allows these works to activate the space around them by leading the viewer around the object to view all perspectives of it. Most of these double prints also showed duality through polar opposites and before and after scenes.
Another interesting aspect in some of Bolton's pieces is that they come paired with an object or objects that echoe(s) an image from the print. Not only does he recreate some of these objects from his prints in 3D space, but they are generally composed out of media that you would never expect. For example one object in particular was a collection of a pumpkin, some loose debris an a string of flags which looked by fragile and lightweight. In fact the whole thing was made out of cement and weighed up to 60 lbs.
Overall it was great to see some some types of art I hadn't really been exposed to. It was also interesting to hear Randy Bolton's processes and how he gathers ideas for his works.

No comments:

Post a Comment