Monday, February 4, 2013

Mold Project Progress


Update on TAF Project Molds

Here are some pictures of the second oil clay model that I made. The first one didn't work out as well because I was impatient when casting the plaster negative and the whole process ruined the texture of my original mold. Sculpting a second mold actually allowed me to modify some of the problems I was having with the first one anyways. For instance I changed some of the dimensions and replaced the stack of newspaper with a custom cut wooden plank for more stability.






The top picture is what the second model looked like after I had popped it out of the negative mold I casted. As you can see it is mostly still intact - much more so than my previous one. The bottom pictures show each side of the mold. They turned out as I had hoped but with a few minor imperfections. There were a few little bubble that got in and I had to smooth out the bottom with a putty knife but that was no problem. 




Today I started working on my wax positives using my plaster negative molds. After soaking each half in water to release all of the air bubbles, I attempted to seal the two together using strips of clay. After applying some pressure I accidentally cracked the thinner, bottom mold. This set me back somewhat as I had to recreate one half of my mold. Once I had two solid halves of my mold I decided that instead of sealing the two and filing it with wax, I would make two different halves and weld them together to make one whole positive. Currently the two halves are hardening and I will finish putting it together and cleaning it all up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment