Monday, February 18, 2013

Project #2: Wood Joints


For the second project we were assigned, we were simply to recreate three different types of wooden joints that were shown in class. Although this was a very simple and quick assignment it was great for introducing us to the wood shop and getting us comfortable with using the different saws and tools. Also, after working with the compressed cardboard, Tim in the wood shop gave me some other wood that was much easier to work with.

Although cutting the boards down was the quickest and easiest part of the job, it was also the most frightening. Cutting through the first few gave me instant comfort, but I made sure to take it slow and be cautious of where my hands were placed.


 The part that gave me the most trouble was the initial hole that you bore to give the screw's head space inside the wood. The bit used for this step was very dull and was the only one available at the time so the most complex of the joints has screw heads slightly sticking out. Normally I would redo them if I were making a functional object since they could easily snag clothing or even skin but since these were for practice I feel like I understand the importance of pre-drilling those holes.


No comments:

Post a Comment