Sunday, March 31, 2013

Gabriel Orozco Collection


Gabriel Orozco

After watching the video on Gabriel Orozco and viewing some of his popular works online I got a simple understanding of what his works are about. To be honest I am not a huge fan of artists like Gabriel Orozco who can take a picture of the simplest thing and sell it for thousands of dollars. I respect  what he does as an artist, but I don't see any value in a lot of his works. This isn't to say that some of his works were amazing. When asked to come up with a collection of three works that represent Orozco's style, I decided to take two photos and make one 3D work.





This first picture is of an abandoned piece styrofoam that I placed on top of a fire hydrant. What inspired me to take this picture was the segment in his video where he takes the flattened two liter bottle and places it different areas around Mexico.


This next picture is of a bunch of bananas that I put in a gap on a grocery store shelf. What inspired me to take this picture was his several photos of misplaced grocery items such as the cat cans on top of the watermelons.


This last piece was a simple clay model I made that sort of mimics the several clay works he has done. His are very abstract and have very little resemblance to a real objects so I attempted to make a shape similar to his.


No comments:

Post a Comment