Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Speed Project: Domino Effect

Speed Project

This project was a bit more abstract than the previous ones we did this semester. It required us to think about speed and use that idea to create a meaningful art piece. Our limitations were very few and we were left up to our own creativity to extrapolate the idea of speed. 

At first I had very little idea what to do, just like with most of these projects. It didn't take long though for me to decide on using dominos as a way of representing speed or rate. Initially I just wanted to use different patterns and spacing to create fluctuations in the speed of the domino run. But realizing that was too simple I added some features to the idea. Because we are in sculpture class I figured I would utilize materials we have already worked with to create a piece that had more interest or more reason for the viewer to continue watching. So I decided I would create one final domino at the end of the run out of plaster. This domino would fall at the very end of the run, off of a ledge, causing it to shatter on the ground below.

Still I thought that the domino run lacked enough thoughtfulness or relation to speed. That's when I decided I could compare the process of creating the domino run to the process of the dominos falling, in relation to speed or rate. So while I set up the dominos in the art studio, I filmed myself doing so on my laptop. When it was completed I filmed the dominos falling down on my phone, following it along as it went. Unfortunately, even after the hour or so it took to set up the dominos, the run had to be started again by my hand about three times, not including the final domino which didn't fall after being hit by six or seven little dominos. Overall the whole process worked out the way I wanted without the actual success of the domino run. 

With the final two videos I placed them side by side, having the domino fall video on a loop to show how fast the dominos fall compared to how fast they are set up. With the two videos next to each other, the viewer can really see the comparison between rates and speed. It was also mentioned that the two videos could be a comparison of effort or work, showing the amount of work it takes to set up such a short lived event.



No comments:

Post a Comment