Saturday, April 13, 2013

Color Blindness & Appreciation

Color Blindness
I noticed recently how fascinated I am with vibrant colors. The art pieces that really grab me and hold my attention are those that utilize bright colors in a unique way. But what is interesting about this is that I have always been red-green colorblind.



Most people who aren't color blind who hear the term don't fully understand it's implications. Some people assume that if you are color blind than you can only see in black and white. Although I am sure there are some cases of this, it would be extremely rare. There are a few types of color blindness which all affect how people see color combinations. So for example I mentioned that I am red-green color blind.


This doesn't mean that I can't detect the colors red or green, but it just means they can get confusing at times. For me, its when these two colors start to turn different shades that I get confused. Seeing a dark red and a dark green might confuse me as to which color it is. Same with a pale green or a pale red. As long as the colors are vibrant enough I can tell the difference. It's when different shades and hues get involved that colors get tricky.


But I do think it is interesting how my color blindness hasn't influenced me to seek out other themes in art such as form and shadow. It's almost as if being color blind has caused me to be more appreciative of the colors I can see vividly.

No comments:

Post a Comment