Saturday, April 13, 2013

Final Project Progress

Plaster Sculptures

Since I started my project, I've been evolving my direction for it as I go. Currently I am finishing up the first five of my plaster carvings. So far I have a sphere, a cube/rectangular prism, a pyramid, an arch, and an arrow. I plan on adding a diamond shape to the collection as well. Once I get the basic shape down for all six, my plan is to clean then up as much as possible and make them look almost machine manufactured.

But after finishing these six I'm not exactly sure where I will go with it. I could continue making more and more complex shapes out of plaster and finishing them up to look very accurate, but that would be somewhat boring. I liked the idea that Eric gave me in class which was to attempt to recreate all of the "perfect" shapes simply by hand. Instead of using tools to help set up the plaster and instead of using tools to carve into it once it has dried, I would be shaping it entirely by hand as the plaster dries. I can see the sphere coming out well, but the other shapes might prove to be a little more difficult.



As of right now I like this idea so I will run with it and see what results I get. If it doesn't turn out so satisfactory I'll probably continue changing my idea. I do know though that I want to stick with plaster as a medium in order to stay consistent as well as the fact that I'm learning a lot about using it in general. 

No comments:

Post a Comment