Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Jin-me Yoon



Jin-me Yoon

Jin-me Yoon is an internationally known artist who emigrated from Korea and now lives and works in Canada. Through her works, and especially her early photographs, she touches on issues of race, gender, nationality, etc as a means of identifying oneself. Her more recent work has shifted towards artistic videos and film, and exploring the relationships between bodies, cities and history. It doesn't take an expert to notice that much of her work deals with social commentary and using subtle humor or irony to express her feelings about a particular subject in our rapidly shrinking world.

Many of her works use simplicity as a means of mystery. I find it hard to really pinpoint the exact messages that she is trying to send to her viewers. It is also a lot more difficult to understand the context of these images and videos considering I am from a younger generation who hasn't seen a lot of these historical events first hand. Most of her works touch on some sort of crucial moment in history, many of which are not directly relevant to me or my life.





No comments:

Post a Comment